Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Kinky Boots movie review



I always think the video store clerk is judging me based on my sexy, kinky movie rentals. I'm not self-conscious, I'm narcissistic. He's pretty cute and I have fantasies of tying him up and shooting hot pink rubber bands at him for hours while playing Lina Wertmüller movies in the background, but I digress.

Wandering about in the comedy section, I could not help but notice this movie, entitled, "Kinky Boots." Loosely based on a real story, meaning not actually at all, this takes place in England at an almost bankrupt family shoe factory. In order to save the factory, Charlie Price must change his product from stuffy mens oxfords, to outrageous stiletto boots. Of course, vanilla Charlie can't do this on his own. He goes to a classic source of inspiration and intrigue . . . the black drag queen!

Enter Lola (Simon) who comes into the factory, designs kinky boots that are sexy and most importantly support a man's weight on a stiletto heel, while opening the minds of the working class in a small town.

This movie is just done really well. It's not sappy or outlandish although it could have very easily gone that route. It's not overly sentimental nor does it champion for trans rights. It just tells a really great story. It's funny, it's got spunk, it's got heart.

Kinky Boots does a lovely job illustrating the lengths some might go to in order to save a family business. There is a tender love strain too budding between Charlie and his pixie-cute employee, intersected with his shrewish, evil fiancee. There are some poignant scenes for Lola as well, what it means to be a man, what it means to be a woman--but she is real, not overly made up ever.

But what I really liked most of all is a boot design that has a slim pocket on the side to hold a matching crop! Lola whips it out through the movie and brandishes it at the factory workers.

I want these boots!

No comments: