Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Are you a cop?


As a follow-up to an incident that occurred in my previous post, I cannot believe this rumor is still widely circulated, but I still hear it. What's worse is it's from educated and intelligent women working in the sex industry.

I do not intend to make my blog a PSA for sex workers, there are many better providers of information (I've listed some in my links section) but I have heard this recently and it came up in Callgirl, from a "highly educated" woman, believing, as her madam apparently did, that if you ask someone if he's a cop, he has to say yes.

Think about it. A cop goes undercover for months, infiltrating a powerful Russian mob network, one day over vodka, Vladimir looks at his new friend "Boris" and says, "Hey, wait a minute . . . Boris, are you a cop?"

Does Boris, look down at his shoes, stick his thumbs in is waistband and go, "Aw shucks, Vlady! You got me! Jig is up. I guess I'll go back to the precinct now. No foolin' you!"

Then Vlady goes, "Aw, hell Boris! You know fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again."

Trust your instincts. Screen your clients. If you think something's amiss, whether because you think your client is a cop or dangerous, turn tail and walk away.

Getting busted is a risk to be avoided, but unfortunately sex workers have other risks to consider. The sad truth is female sex workers are more likely to be victims of sexual and physical assualts, and even as recent crimes suggest, the victims of serial killers.

Read the Snopes article and watch a clip from one of my favorite shows, Law & Order.

On a lighter note, strippers as cops is passe. Personally, I like my cops in latex. There is certainly a "cop fetish" in the scene. Once, while leaving a club, my friend Spanks, asked, "Is that a real cop or a fetish cop"?

1 comment:

Jenny DeMilo said...

It never ceases to amaze me how many sex workers believe this urban legend. "are you a cop?" means nothing, thy lie, are encouraged to lie and will lie.

I wrote about this a while back too
http://jennydemilo.blogspot.com/2008/05/are-you-cop.html

Sadly I think this myth will never really be dispelled.