Monday, March 1, 2010

Secretary

The last time I saw this movie was years ago, before I became a pro-Domme. It blew my mind what a totally different perspective I have of these movie now.

I still like it, but not as much as I did. Much like the movie Blow had more to do with being working class and making a living than it had to do with coke, I feel like Secretary has more to do with a personal journey of recovery than it has to do with BDSM.

But what I really like about the movie always, is that it showed the difference between bad hurt and good hurt. Lee cuts herself to relieve the pain she feels of living with her alcoholic, abusive father and co-dependent mother. However, when she gets spanked by her boss, she goes to a different place to experience and process that pain, and ultimately the humiliation from her boss. And I like that it shows both characters struggling with how to deal with their love of a D/s relationship, deviating from "the norm."

To me, it's more funny than sexy, like when she tries to spank herself or when she tries to find another play partner--haven't we all been there? It's just not the same as being with someone who rocks.

Enjoy this mainstream movie that touches on D/s. I'm interested in reading the story by Mary Gaitskill that this is based on, I have recently discovered her writing and I find it dark and intelligent.

5 comments:

Sissy Pesticide said...

Interesting, I can see it. Good points too

Anonymous said...

I was just having a discussion about this with a friend.

i found it interesting that they portrayed a dominant that had his own issues and wasn't infallible. I think that's what made it approachable for a for the experimenters and the curious, but for someone that already has a well formed concept of D/s relationships it's a little light.

Anonymous said...

I rewatched it recently and had a similar reaction to yours....still like it, but not as much. I found myself wishing that James Spader's character was more at peace with his desires and who and what he was. Yes, the movie makes what we do more...approachable...to the mainstream of society, but I think his character did us Dominants no real favors...

Chandana said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Turi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.